Windham Mountain’s Learning Programs for First Time Skier and Riders
Easy, affordable first-time packages available!
Skiing and snowboarding are an amazing blend of physical activity and challenge – and enjoyment of the great outdoors with friends and family.
The best way to learn to ski or snowboard is with professional instruction. Go with a pro, and you’ll discover the freedom of skiing and riding faster. If you’ve never been skiing or riding before, here are a few tips that will make your first experience more enjoyable:
- Check the weather prior to your arrival. Conditions can change quickly, so always be prepared.
- You don’t need specialized clothing to enjoy skiing and snowboarding. Dress in layers so you can add or remove a layer as the weather varies. The first layer should be long underwear and medium weight socks. The outer layer, including your pants, should be waterproof or waterproof/breathable (don’t wear jeans on the outside. Trust us, you’ll feel cold if you do). Note that ski and snowboard boots are insulated and provide plenty of warmth in most cases. Only one pair of socks is necessary.
- Water resistant, insulated gloves are a must. They're widely available at discount, department and specialty stores, including our own Mountain Sports Shop.
- Bring a hat that will stay on your head - knit or stretchy fleece is best. Hats are important for retaining body heat on cold days. Always plan for cold weather when visiting the mountains. Or, rent a helmet while you're here.
- Other items that are good to have are goggles, sunscreen, lip balm, quarters for lockers and a sports bag.
- Try not to wear any bulky items or long scarves.
And, of course, take a lesson! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on our Adult or Children’s lessons.